The procedure of confirming Romanian citizenship and obtaining a Romanian European passport is quite complex, but we have divided the process into stages below.
Stages 1, 2, and 6 are the most important to understand.
1. ELIGIBILITY CHECK: Check if by Romanian legislation you qualify for the confirmation of Romanian citizenship by descent.
Firstly, it is necessary to check whether Romanian law provides that a person applying to confirm of Romanian citizenship qualifies for its acquisition. In most cases, it is enough to respond to some simple questions, but in some cases it is necessary to carry out a detailed and thorough analysis. Please complete our short ELIGIBILITY CHECK FORM to initially check your qualifications.
2. ARCHIVAL SEARCH: The second most important step is the possession of relevant Romanian documents – meaning issued by Romanian authorities.
The most important issue in all cases for the confirmation of Romanian citizenship are Romanian documents. Pursuant to the ROMANIAN CITIZENSHIP ACT OF 1991, an application not supported by Romanian documents will not be accepted for processing.
3. STEP-BY-STEP: A detailed guide tailored for your case that you will receive from us by email after we confirm stages 1 and 2 above.
After we confirm your eligibility and the possession of relevant documents, we will prepare a step-by-step detailed guide to show you what to expect in terms of timing, costs and procedures.
4. CASE INFO: The most comprehensive piece of legal advice in which the procedures, costs, and timing are explained in detail.
This is the most important part of our legal assistance: detailed explanations of each step in the process, costs, and timing.
5. TRANSLATIONS: All foreign documents must be translated into Romanian and certified by a Romanian Sworn Translator or by a Romanian Consul.
All foreign documents should be translated into Romanian and certified by a Romanian Sworn Translator. We translate documents in all languages here in Romania. Documents can be translated by your own translator, but it is much faster, of better quality, and less expensive if the translations are done by us in Romania.
6. CITIZENSHIP CONFIRMATION: The procedure to confirm Romanian citizenship by descent is the core of each and every case.
The file can be submitted in Romania through the National Authority for Citizenship or across borders through the Romanian Embassies or Consulates.
7. TRANSCRIPTION: Civil acts must be transcripted and placed into the Romanian Civil Registry Books.
To file an application for a Romanian European passport after confirming your Romanian citizenship, it is necessary to attach your Romanian birth and marriage certificates. In the event that you were born and/or got married outside of Romania, you must submit translated foreign certificates to the Romanian Civil Registry Office and obtain Romanian vital records. This procedure is called transcription and usually poses no problems or difficulties. It takes 8-9 weeks to process.
8. NAME CHANGE: People who after emigration officially changed their names must do so again in Romania after their citizenship is confirmed.
Applicants who after emigration officially changed their name(s) in a foreign country must go through the official name change procedure again in Romania. First, however, you need a CNP – “personal identification number”. The name change procedure is not difficult and takes about 2 months to process.
9. CNP: Every Romanian citizen must have a CNP number.
Each Romanian citizen has a Romanian Identification Number – CNP. This number is required to receive a Romanian passport, a Romanian ID, or to open a bank account and perform other acts-in-law essential for Romanian citizens. In practice, the CNP is granted when the transcription of civil acts is filed.
10. PASSPORT: A Romanian European passport is the ultimate goal of every applicant. We will send you what we call a ‘Passport File,’ which is perfectly prepared to submit to any Romanian Consulate or to Romanian National Authority for Passports.
The entire process ends with preparing and filing an application for a Romanian European passport and attaching all the aforementioned documents. You must personally submit the passport application to the nearest Romanian consulate in your country of residence or to the Romanian National Authority for Passports in Bucharest.
How We Work
For over 10 years of dealing with Romanian citizenship cases, we have developed a very efficient system. Most of the above stages are performed by us concurrently in order to save time and to be sure that upon confirming Romanian citizenship, all other documents and applications are also ready. Cases are usually handled within several weeks to 18 months, but sometimes may take a few years. Usually, a well-documented case for confirming your Romanian Citizenship takes up to 18 months.