You are a Romanian citizen, you have a permanent address in Romanian and you want to get your Romanian ID?
You are a Romanian citizen and you are outside your country and you have an Identity Card you want to renew?
A. Then, you need to know that you can get this service done:
– by yourself, when you return to your country,
– by special power of attorney, empowering somebody from Romania in this respect.
It’s important to keep in mind that the first identity card is released only in the presence of its holder.
The identity card is issued with a validity period as follows:
- 4 years for individuals with ages between 14 and 18 years
- 7 years for individuals with ages between 18 and 25 years
- 10 years for individuals over the age of 25
- Permanent for individuals over the age of 55
Romanian Consulates don’t release identity cards. The identity card is released to the Romanian citizen having his/her residence in Romania or to his/her proxy, only by the community public service for the homeowners’ registration.
B. The legal instances when a new identity card is released are:
- when its validity expires
- if there are changes of the holder’s family name or holder’s given name, or parents name or the date or place of birth (example: administrative change of the name or of the given name; adoption; detection of spelling mistakes when the civil status document was drawn up);
- when residence changes;
- in case of deterioration, destruction, loss or theft;
- in case of sex change;
- in case of cancelation and release of a new Personal Number (CNP)
- upon expiry or revocation of the interdiction applied against the holder for being in certain places (towns).
- if the picture no longer corresponds to holder’s physiognomy;
- in case of identity card change within the validity period.
C. With a view to obtain a new Romanian identity card through a proxy, it is necessary for you sign a special power of attorney to the proxy, in advance.
According to the Romanian legislation the special power of attorney needs to be authenticated by Romania’s Consulate from the state where the Romanian citizen – applicant is, and needs to be accompanied by recent updated photos of the Romanian citizen.
Subsequently, your proxy can address to the corresponding public authority in Romania in order to obtain the new identity card for you.
We can help you with the Romanian ID contact us: