The required documents to confirm Romanian citizenship and obtain a Romanian passport are divided into three groups: 1. Documents proving Romanian citizenship of your ancestors, 2. Documents proving the chain of citizenship, and 3. Documents that prove or establish the family line.
1. Documents Proving Ancestral Citizenship
The crucial issue in each administrative procedure for the confirmation of Romanian citizenship is the relevant Romanian documents, through which it is possible to prove that your ancestors were Romanian citizens. Therefore, in the event that a person applying for the confirmation of Romanian citizenship does not have Romanian documents, it is necessary to search for them in archives in Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Moldova and Serbia.
The most important documents are as follows:
- Proof of residence, residence registration cards;
- Romanian civil acts: birth and marriage certificates;
- Documents that prove the confirmation/recognition of Romanian citizenship;
- Certificates of good standing/police clearance certificates;
- Copies of Romanian ID cards, passports, travel documents, military books, and other identity cards;
It is not easy to conduct searches for archival documents, particularly in territories that before WWII were Romanian and are now part of Bulgaria, Ukraine, Serbia, Moldova.
We have developed appropriate methods of searching for documents and have established cooperation with various archives and institutions in Romania and abroad.
2. Documents Proving the Chain of Citizenship
It is necessary to prove when the Romanian citizenship was loss as a result of emigration and naturalization in another country. Relevant documents produced by the country in which your ancestor lived and finally settled are:
- naturalization acts (also of previous generations)
- documents proving the acquisition of foreign citizenship
3. Documents That Establish the Family Line
Usually the most easily obtainable documents are those proving the family line from your ancestors that emigrated from Romania to you. These are:
- Birth, marriage (divorce) certificates
- Parents’ and grandparents’ birth, marriage (divorce) certificates
- Name change certificates
- Certified copy of each applicant’s valid foreign passport
Importance of Romanian Documents
The most important aspect of the application process is Romanian documents that prove your ancestors acquired and held Romanian citizenship. Without these documents it is not possible to apply for citizenship according to Romanian legislation.
Documents proving the moment when the citizenship was lost are, of course, also crucial.